Uh-oh! The most abstract Chinese film of the year is here

The title is very plain.

《The Cow Is Coming》.

The poster alone is pretty intimidating.

Ink wash.

Negative space.

A cow standing amid mountains and water.

Along with a rather Zen-like tagline:

The cow is coming; it will arrive in the end.

You might even wonder whether this is yet another Chinese animated film following the route of Eastern aesthetics.

And then, the actual film begins.

4 Likes

It seems my knowledge is still lacking. I’ll keep working hard. I can’t understand it at all.

《That Year, Did You Really Understand Niu Lai (牛来)?》

I thought it was a photoshopped picture, but I didn’t expect it to be real.

I just want to know if it looks good.

I only saw it a couple of days ago. Good grief, it looks like an animated film drawn by a little kid, with a hollow, boring story. I can’t believe this is from 2026.

The texture feels really rough.

Retro aesthetic

1 Like

This was done by some kid’s parents. No idea how much they paid to get it approved.

Everyone, don’t be too curious.

No need to promote it anymore—the production company has already made a fortune. It cost just over 7,000, and the box office has already reached 2 million. I’ve noticed it’s getting more screenings too.

Haha, another way to make money.

Look, the initials of “牛来” are actually “NL” :ac01:

Most of these are usually backed by connections. Those with the right connections can get their work released no matter how poorly it’s made, while ordinary people find it really hard to make money from this.

Is this a theatrical release?

Since gpt-image2 came out, poster and cover images often don’t match the actual content :ac05:

That’s where the magic happens. The film is currently a box office hit.

I really didn’t expect something in this style to come out under the current circumstances.